Thursday, May 21, 2009

youth of today.

Yo! Just took on a pretty big print job, 500 stickers to the company I design decks for, let's hope all goes well. I'm pretty stoked.
I recently ventured to Delhi skatepark, where the kids were cool, and pulled off good tricks. I also took the trek to the infamous Baker Bowl. Where, if I were a better skater, it would have been worth the long, lonely trip. the kids there were just sitting around for the most part, drinking 40's of Milwaukee's Best, AKA, the nation's worst.
So as my good friend Ryan put it, this only proves that the closer to the city you get, the better the skaters are produced. THOUGH I know of a sponsored skater from the boonies of Kentucky. This only negates my previous assumption. So I would like to know what you think. Is it being closer to an urban environment, or is it just the will to want to actually succeed in the sport?
The thing that bums me out is that the sport has been somewhat corrupted by the use of alcohol and drugs. In so many videos I have seen there are skaters drunk off their asses. I mean I have looked up to some of these guys for years as a skateboarder, the Piss Drunks, namely. But I mean why is it that you have to be drunk to be cool or bad ass?
When I go to a park and see kids merely sitting around drinking, not pulling off any tricks i am deterred by that whole park, or even city. Is this the best you have to offer? I brought my camera in hopes to shoot something sweet, some good tricks, getting my photographic practice in. But no. I always hated that whole "yo I'm a bad ass, I drink and smoke, and can do a kickflip" attitude. If you are only going to do these things then why bring it to a park? It is these exact actions that give skateboarding a negative connotation. I try not to be a negative person, but it just really bums me out to see these young kids looking up to alcoholics as idols. I would like to know everyone's stance on this. Are we headed to another world of alcoholic heroes, similar to that of the status of 80's rock stars though, skateboarding IS mainstream, it is not as much as rock and roll.

Kevin.

2 comments:

AboveSnakes said...

Fun stuff Kevin I enjoy your blog.

kevin said...

i think that people from urban environments are better skaters because people of the city value skate boarding more than rural areas.. in rural areas, they think skateboarding is for those bad skater punk kids and dont want anything to do with it and skaters from those areas are looked down upon resulting in poor skating. its the self-fulfiling prophesy in a way.

just my thoughts..