Sunday, May 17, 2009

Remembering the past.

Remember Midtown? Well, I certainly do. When I was about 14 or 15 I was REALLY into Blink 182. I don't regret it at all either. They got me into bands that got me into other bands. I would read or watch their interviews and find out what they were into. Such bands as NOFX, MXPX, Fenix TX, New Found Glory, Midtown, and Sum 41. I know it is total pop-punk bullshit now, with the exception of a few aforementioned bands. I also am quite aware that several of those bands are still touring and recording, some of their sounds have changed (evolved).
I get so tired of hearing that a band "sold out." Music is an ongoing evolutionary process. When I was younger I had never heard of a breakdown. I didn't know anything about hardcore. Of course the So-Cal punk scene was more about making fun poppy punk tunes.
When I heard NOFX's "Wolves in Wolves Clothing" I thought it was just another NOFX album, nothing special. Not to pick on one of the longest running punk acts, but I think eventually a band needs to change their sound or it is all just complacent noise.
Take Midtown, for instance, total fun pop-punk. When they broke up (I don't know when) the lead singer/bassist formed a band many kids are now familiar with, Cobra Starship. I don't know where I missed the buss, but I guess I grew out of that sound, as evolution goes. I dont really know where any of this is going, but I think it is funny that when I was 15 I was into them, and now 15 year olds are still into the music he is making. It's whatever.
So in retrospect, I think I lived a good musical life that is still growing. I went through so many phases, bands, and forms. It all adds up to a crazy long list of tops fav's on the music list.
MY evolution went something as follows:

Metal>NuMetal>Pop Punk>Emo Punk>Hardcore>Early Punk>Early Hardcore>Metal>Sludge>Power Violence.

Now thanks to that strange evolution, I have SO many bands and artists I admire. So I suggest you look back at yourself and your own musical evolution and see how you got to where you are now a'days.

Kevin.

No comments: